Underground Storage Tanks
Underground storage tanks (USTs) in Idaho are regulated by the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality and and are required to comply with specific conditions, including financial responsibility for petroleum cleanup and damages to property and bodily injury resulting from a release of petroleum.
- Any one or combination of tanks, including any connected underground pipes.
- The tank is used to contain an accumulation of petroleum or petroleum products.
- The volume of product stored is more than 10% beneath the surface of the ground.
The following are NOT classified as underground storage tanks:
- Farm or residential tank of 1,100 gallons or less capacity used for storing motor fuel for non-commercial purposes.
- Tanks used solely for storing heating oil for consumptive use on the premises where stored.
- Tanks with a storage capacity of 110 gallons or less.
Insurance Coverage Offered by PSTF
- For petroleum marketers operating 1 to 100 covered underground petroleum storage tanks, no more than $1 million per occurrence and no more than $1 million dollars annual aggregate.
- For petroleum marketers operating 101 or more covered underground petroleum storage tanks, no more than $1 million per occurrence and no more than $2 million annual aggregate.
- For non-marketers of petroleum products who are owners or operators of above ground and underground storage tanks and who consume 10,000 gallons or less of petroleum products each month, no more than $500,000 per occurrence and no more than $1 million annual aggregate.
- $10,000 deductible per annum.
Storage Tanks Eligible for Insurance
Eligible storage tanks are those tanks that meet all of the following criteria:
- Application fees have been paid.
- The underground tank is in compliance with applicable federal and state underground storage tank rules and regulations.
- The tank is used only for storage of petroleum products.
- The tank passes a tank tightness test.
- Any prior contamination caused by or released by or from the tank has been cleaned up, or a plan for cleanup or removal approved by the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality is being implemented, provided, however, that the trust fund shall not pay for any costs associated with prior contamination.
- Additional underwriting requirements may apply.
$25 per tank per year application fee.
How to Apply and for Detailed Information
Call 208-332-8100 or 1-877-997-7664, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or download an application. Mail application to: Petroleum Storage Tank Fund, PO Box 83720, Boise ID 83720-0044.Click here for application
Underwriting records are exempt from public disclosure, Idaho Code Section 74-109.